Ponder this..


Why don't we take holidays like the rest of the world does? you know, lifetime savings for that one dream trip and all? Some even take a whole year off work to enjoy excursions deep in the Congo or up in the mountains of Nepal. That's how serious travel is out there.  Is it that our pockets are just too shallow or do we still perceive travel to be a preserve of the mzungu?  I doubt it. Kenya has come a long way from the days of  just 'Karibu Kenya' ,to join us as we 'Tembea Kenya' . I cannot in one page tell you how incredibly fulfilling it is to experience the outdoors far from where you reside. I haven't been everywhere and certainly no one has, but someone once said, 'We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us' 


So what does it take for you to Tembea Kenya?
for starters, NO VISA. By virtue of being native to this country, you own all the beautiful things within this eye soothing landscape that tourists flock to see. All you need is your backpack, comfortable shoes and a will to travel. I came across a quote that simply refuses to leave my mind - 'I don't know where am going, but am on my way'. So that is all I want...  to go.

Transport. How do I go about this 'to go' thing anyway, I started by checking out places to visit blogs on the web and I couldn't help but think man, I need me a billion! Then again, I remembered  my French Lecturer in campus once narrated to us how hard it is in other African countries to get to point B from A. He had found himself in a certain Central African country in one of his many language teaching sojourns. He literally took 4 hours to reach a place that would have otherwise taken 1, had he been in Kenya. Reason being, their Public transport system is limping, if not dead. What with tired, rusty vehicles, no standard routing, non existent roads, overloaded cars (both cargo and people/animals)... anyway, its pretty simple for us in Kenya. Our public transport may be chaotic, but it works.

That brings me to the purpose of this Blog. To guide you on where to go, what to see and how to get there, using public transport because lets not kid ourselves here, we don't all drive our own. Join me on this journey as we visit the sites and sounds of this magical country, telling stories of Life in the Jamhuri. 



No comments:

Post a Comment